Monday 19 September 2011

Clarisonic: Is it really worth the hype?

Deep Pore Cleansing Brush
In a nutshell, the answer to this question is a definite yes.

However,  it would be best to analyse briefly, what the clarisonic can, and can't do.

FIY I own the travel-sized version, which is the Clarisonic Mia. The mia version, only has one speed and doesn't beep like the regular version when you need to switch areas.


The clarisonic is essentially an excellent cleansing tool, nothing more, nothing less and definitely not a "miracle" product as some may claim.

Once I got over the initial "WOW my skin looks so awesome" effect, I admit I wasn't really impressed with the "sensitive skin" brush it came with, but I definitely LOVED the Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head I bought afterwards. Much more effective and surprisingly smoother.

I personally don't use it to remove make up straight on, but after I wash my make up off with regular face soap (I use clean & clear mainly), to prep my skin before any product application. I somehow feel that if I use the brush on my "dirty" face, it would further push make-up residue into my pores. I could be wrong, but that's how it works for me.



Pros:

- Visible pore size reduction, simply because it helps maintain your pores squeaky clean. No more nose strips for me!

- Overall makes a worthwhile investment on yourself. Saves money in the long-run; I find products work more effectively now, as I apply much less than I previously had to. Needless to say I no longer have to get any facials done.

- Less whiteheads and millia... paired with my retinol treatment, the clarisonic mia has considerably contributed in smoothing my skin's texture, which was a major issue for me.


- No irritation whatsoever, if used with caution. After all nobody knows your skin better than you do, so I recommend you experiment a little on how often your skin can handle it best. I use it on a daily basis, but not always "twice a day" as directed... sometimes I prefer to let my skin rest in the mornings.

- If you like applying masks, packs, etc, then this will be your perfect accomplice. Using the clarisonic prior to the application of any mask, with lukewarm water helps open up my pores, increasing the effectiveness of the treatment. (I recommend the Jan Marini Skin Zyme Green Papaya Mask, which I will be reviewing soon)

- Waterproof; you can use it safely in the shower! 

- Even though I dreaded the "purging" effect, something that often happens with harsh exfoliants (esp. scrubs) surprisingly this didn't break me out at all.

- Visibly improved skin texture, helps loosen up and remove dead skin cells with regular use.

Cons:

- Battery life; nothing more frustrating than my clarisonic "betraying" me in the shower... happened numerous times! (murphy's law? lol) Wish it came with an indicator, cause I'm not fond of guessing when it MAY go off.

- Charging takes forever and a century, well over 15 hours to be precise, but I can live with it (better than having to get new batteries).

- Removing the brush lid is frustrating, as I often end up removing the brush along with it.

- Having to replace the brush every 2-3 months is a bit of a hassle, but I guess its like owning a toothbrush! Can't use the same one forever... lol

Final thoughts:


One can be overwhelmed by the abundance of clarisonic dupe products in the market, but I can only recommend saving for the real deal, since we're talking about a brush you'll be using directly on your skin, on a daily basis.

Is it worth the hype? As a skincare routine staple... yes, it lives up to it.

Excluding minor practical issues mentioned above, I've only experienced positive things, after months of regular use.

If my sensitive, acne-prone skin loves it, yours probably will too.


9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...